Location: Springfield, Illinois
The Registered Nurse-Aesthetics is responsible for professional nursing care according to individual needs of the patient population within the rules and Regulations of the Illinois Nurse Practice Act, managing the operation of the office on a daily basis, and functioning as an integral part of the patient care team to coordinate patient care by interacting with care team members, all Clinic departments, hospitals, nursing homes, and home care agencies. Working under the supervision of the physician or APP, this role also is responsible for the delivery of elective skin care and cosmetic services for patients. If not Certified, must perform responsibilities under the direct supervision of a collaborating physician or a Certified Aesthetics Nurse.
Reports to the Operations Manager
- Interview for a nursing history, assessment of health knowledge and maintenance, and documents findings in the medical record.
- Obtain medical information, chief complaints, vital signs and diagnostic test results in preparation for physician examination and documents in the medical record.
- Serve as a patient advocate by protecting patient rights and gives attention to complaints regarding service.
- Gives home care instruction for procedures and medications.
- Provide pre and post procedure instruction for specific surgical and/or medical procedures.
- Document patient education in the medical record.
- Assist the physician in the examination, treatment of the patient by handing instruments, providing dressings, preparing equipment, etc. according to Infection Control Policy.
- Orient new personnel to specialty.
- Provide emotional support and guidance to patients/family.
- Serve on the STAT Code Team, may direct the team and provide education to staff.
- Serve as resource to nursing personnel throughout the Clinic.
- Aesthetician responsibilities include:
- Provide skin care treatments (facials, superficial peels, cool sculpting, ear piercings, IPL (intense pulse light) treatments, micro needling (with provider on site) or any additional procedures that are approved by Springfield Clinic credentialing committee.
- Provide patients with complimentary consultations regarding skincare services.
- Determine patient skin care goals and objectives and recommend products and services that can reasonably facilitate attainment of those goals.
- Seek advice and supervision of physician or APP as required on treatment protocols and notify the physician or APP of any patient noncompliance.
- Provide patient with instructions and educational materials that relate to their unique skin type and recommend adjustments to their skincare regiment as appropriate.
- Coordinate correspondence to patients regarding their skin care treatment plan, product usage, or home care instructions.
- Maintain patient medical records detailing all treatment procedures, elective products, medication history, and educational materials received.
- Monitor equipment to ensure proper operation and maintain said equipment in accordance with manufacturer guidelines.
- Maintain treatment rooms and work areas in compliance with OSHA standards.
- Ensures the patient is satisfied with elective skin care service and recommended products.
- Coordinate the nursing care of the patient by interacting with all Clinic departments.
- Demonstrate professionalism by adhering to performance standards including dress code.
- Insure confidentiality for patients and staff.
- Maintain knowledge by attending appropriate education programs, reading current journals and literature and documents for yearly evaluation.
- Comply with the Springfield Clinic incident reporting policy and procedures.
- Adhere to all OSHA and Springfield Clinic training & accomplishments as required per policy.
- Provide excellent customer service and adhere to Springfield Clinic's Code of Conduct and Ethics Standards.
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Educated as registered nurse by attaining an ADN, diploma or B.S.N.
- Have a minimum of two (2) years of nursing experience as a registered nurse within the four Core Specialties (Plastics, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, and ENT) in collaboration or in a practice with a physician that is board Certified within a core specialty. This can be in a general staff, administrative, teaching, or research capacity for at least three (3) years prior to application preferred.
- Spent 1000 practice hours within the core specialties during the last 2 years preferred.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois.
- Current CPR certification per American Heart Association guidelines within 30 days of hire.
- Pass injector competency through the Medication Vendor within one year of hire
- Certified Aesthetics Nurse Specialist thru Plastic Surgical Nursing Certification Board or work towards achieving within one year of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Practices independent nursing consistent with the Illinois Nurse Practice Act.
- Assumes accountability and responsibility for own practice and that, which is delegated.
- Ability to serve on appropriate committees.
- Possess wide-range knowledge of skin care treatment, elective services and products.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Works in office setting during the hours the Clinic is available to patients/families.
- Sitting vs. standing averages to 50-50%.
- Minimal lifting requirements.